Saturday, January 9, 2010

Now that we are ALL experiencing GLOBIAL WARMING.....

I know a couple guys back home, Terry S and Terry G, who are loving the cold as it is making the ice thicker. All I can say is leave some crappies in the lakes for when I get back this spring.

The weather here, although not as cold as a lot of other areas, has been unseasonably cool. Most days have been in the middle 50's. Yesterday was real nice with a high of 70, but today we are supposed to have a high of 47, which I don't believe we will make as it's only 38 degrees at 11:30AM with rain. I think this will be a day to start a new book.

Most of my reading in the past has been books on history and biographies. But a couple of years ago I started to read some spy, mystery, action books. Both Sandy and I have read the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. They are about a former Military Policeman who travels the country and keeps getting involved in situations. If you decide to read this series, start with the seventh book in the series “The Enemy” as it is the Prequel to the series. A friend of ours mentioned a set of books by Nevada Barr, that has a heroin named Anna Pigeon, who is a Park Ranger sent on temporary assignments in different National Parks around the country. Although not as intense as the Jack Reacher books, they were fun to read as we have been to some of those National Parks. I have read them and Sandy is into the third book of the series. The series that I just finished was the Mitch Rapp books written by Vince Flynn. In these books the character is a CIA agent. In my opinion, these books could have been the basis for Jack Bauer in the TV series “24”. For me they were very hard to put down once I started. Sandy kept telling me to slow down or I would run out of books to read, but I just got so engrossed in them, I couldn't stop. Now I’m looking forward to reading a series of books by John Sandford who’s main character is a the only member of the “Office of Special Intelligence”. I have not read any of the books yet so I don’t know which police department, but it is in Minneapolis or St. Paul. If anyone has any suggestions for books to read in the future, please let me know.


On Thursday the 7th, Bob, Jeff and I went on a motorcycle trip. We rode south through Immokalee down to Hwy 41 then west to Marco Island and then back north through Naples, back up to Immokalee and then back to Fort Myers. It got up to 63 degrees so it was not too bad for the 220 mile trip.

Yesterday I did a little fishing in the lake by Dale’s lot. In the first 5 casts I had 3 bass and lost one. Then for the next 10 minutes of fishing I caught one more, a whopping 12 incher. Jeff, with whom I went riding, said he caught a 7 pounder in the other lake in the park last year. So when this cold front leaves I’m going to do a little fishing.

Until next time,
Dave and Sandy

No comments: