Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finally some fishing time.

I finally got to get out fishing for the first time since early May. The first trip was with the musky group and we went to Pipestone Point Lodge on Lake Of The Woods just east of Kenora, Canada. We spent September 19th, 20th 21st and 22nd fishing for muskies with mixed results.

Terry and John L managed to catch a bunch of northerns, the largest being 41 inches long. They did manage to lose a few muskies that hit their lures. While in my boat we also caught a few northerns up to 40 inches. But at least my fishing partner, John H, caught 4 muskies. John caught 2 smaller ones and one 42 incher and one 45 incher, so at least the trip was a big success for him.

One of my northerns.

One of John’s smaller muskies.

John’s 42 inch musky.

One of the evenings when heading back to camp we stopped and took a picture of the late afternoon sky.

This is a picture from the last evening at supper time. From left to right. Me, John L from Madison WI, John H from Cannon Falls MN and Terry G, from Plymouth MN.

On Saturday the 29th Sandy and I drove to Hayward, WI to spend the week with Terry, a friend from Rochester, MN and his wife Elaine. We stayed at Lake Chippewa Campground on the Chippewa Flowage. This trip was not without its hiccups as after we got set up, Sandy went to make a pizza in the microwave oven while an electric heater was on and we blew a fuse. I had forgotten to hook us up to shore power and we were running on the inverter which can not take that much of a load. I spent the better part of an hour trying to find the blown fuse but could not and then everything started working again. We figured that a breaker had reset itself. The next morning while I was getting ready to shave we lost all 12 volt power again. This time I found that it was the 300 Amp fuse that had blown. I have heard of fuses being able to carry a partial load for a while before totally failing. It was a good thing I had picked one up as a spare.

On Monday we woke up to a much better morning today than yesterday and as you can see we had “a room with a view”. The electric was working and the weather was much improved, although it never got above the low 60’s for the rest of the week and it was overcast most of the time.

Terry and I had our boats docked and ready to hit the water and catch some fish.

Late Tuesday evening Elaine’s sister, Deloris, and her brother-in-law Marlin came to spend the rest of the week. We spent most of our fishing time fishing for crappies. While they were biting all day for the week, their size was in the 8 ½ to 10 inch range with a few larger, up to 13 inches. Sandy and Elaine spent some time fishing, but the ladies spent most of their leisure time playing dominos. We all had a good time sharing meals and playing cards.

Sandy and I had planned to tour Al Capone's Hideout near Hayward, but it's only open on weekends this time of year so that tour will have to wait for another time.

Here is Terry and Marlin coming in from the last afternoon of fishing.

As you can see the weather is absolutely perfect and, of course, we are leaving this Friday morning.

It was a beautiful drive back to Minneapolis as the trees had started to do their fall color change in northern Wisconsin.

I finally sold my Porta-Bote. John H and I were talking about it in Canada and he had been looking at them at the State Fair and I just happened to have one for sale. I took it down to Cannon Falls on Saturday for him to try it out and he decided to buy it. Yes, I finally got it in the water after two years of riding around the country.

Tomorrow we are heading to King’s Campers in Wausau, WI to have some work done before we head south for the winter.

Until next time,
Dave and Sandy

No comments: