Sunday, September 9, 2012

Kayaking the Snake River.

9-3-12

This morning at about 6:30 two young moose came right behind our motorhome. The pictures we took out the window did not turn out ok, so Sandy went out and got the 2nd and 3rd pictures a couple of campsites over.

IMG_2503 

IMG_2509

IMG_2510

Ron took Jane and I over to the Snake River so we could kayak downstream for a couple of hours. After Ron dropped us off he headed down the road to take pictures of us where the Snake comes close to the road.

Ron is getting the kayaks ready to take down to the river.

IMGP3751

Here I took a picture of Jane paddling downstream.

IMGP3752

Then Jane took one of me paddling downstream with Mount Moran in the back ground.

IMGP3757

Once I got downstream from her, Jane decided she needed to take some more pictures, so she told me to paddle back upstream towards her. I guess she wanted to see me sweat a little as the Snake was flowing pretty good just below the dam.

IMGP3765

Ron took the next five pictures of Jane and me. This whole section that we kayaked was pretty calm with just a couple of very mild rapids.

DSC_9073

DSC_9078

DSC_9087

That’s Jane and I coming around the bend in the distance.

DSC_9091

About a quarter mile down the river Jane and I saw a Grizzly bear that was on the shore. It was too bad the Grizzly got back into the brush before we could get the cameras out. And then again, maybe it’s better it went back into the brush instead of into the water after us. Then again, I was on the outside. Rule #1 when seeing a Grizzly, always have someone between you and the Grizzly. Just kidding Jane!!

DSC_9088

Now the pelican was more receptive of us as we paddled by.

IMGP3779

And the Sandhill Cranes were kind of in between with their patience of us trespassing in their area.

IMGP3793

IMGP3795

After a couple of hours on the river it was time to pack it all up. Thanks Ron for dropping us off, picking us up and also for taking those great pictures of us.

DSC_9121

Until next time,

Dave and Sandy

1 comment:

Mary Harris said...

I'm glad the grizzly was far away!